Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Law Of Influence by Pat Melfi

Okay so I forgot to tell you all that I was going to take a break in the middle of this 5 day journey for a vacation and it was wonderful. Your kind emails indicating how much you miss the inspiration is very much appreciated.

So, back on track we are on Day 3 of our journey.

Day 3. The Law of Influence



I started out as the worst salesman in the world. When my goal was to sell music or real estate, I was no good at it at all. My first few years in the business, I floundered like a turtle on his back. Tell you what it was that turned things around and set me right side up. Changing my focus from seeing what I could get to what I could give was when my career started to really take off. Started to. But in a business like mine--actually, in any business--you also need to know how to develop a network. Do you know what I mean by a network? Now, by a network I don't neccessarily mean your customers or clients. I mean a network of people who know you, like you and trust you. They might never buy a thing from you, but they've always got you in the backs of their minds. They're people who are personally invested in seeing you succeed...and of course that's because you are the same way about them. They're your army of personal walking ambassadors. When you've got your own personal walking army of personal ambassadors, you'll have referrals coming your way faster than you can handle them.

Do you want to know what makes that kind of network happen? "Stop keeping score." Don't keep track. That's not networking--that's poker. You know how people always say win-win? Always look for the solution where you both come out ahead. It sounds great--in theory. But most of the time, what people call win-win is really just a disguised way of keeping track. Making sure we all come out even, that nobody gets the advantage...even Steven. I scratched your back, so now you owe me. When you base your relationships--in business or anywhere else in your life--on who owes who what, that is not being a friend. That is being a creditor. Watch out for the other guy. Watch out for hisinterests. Watch hisback. Forget about fifty-fifty. Fifty-fifty's a losing proposition. The only winning proposition is one hundred percent.Make your win about the other person, go after what he or she wants. Forget about win-win--focus on the other person's win.

Your influence is determined by how abundantly you place other people's interests first. And that's the way the Law Of Influence works...because it magnetizes you...Givers attract all the time.





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment